I love fashion, and style. I think my first post I ever wrote was a wardrobe related post. Here is a collage of styles I love. Colors I love: black, hot pink, grey, white, navy, cognac, army green. Patterns I love: polka dot, stripe, lace. Plus I love blue jeans, skinny dark pants, flats, and tall boots.
While I will never be a fashion blogger I love the diversity of this challenge.
I've been thinking for sometime of writing a fashion post when I decided to try the capsule wardrobe approach to my wardrobe. I'd heard a few people mention the capsule wardrobe so I suppose I'd happened on a fashion trend. I saw the link to un-fancy.com on my friend KS facebook page. KS in GP if your ever reading this blogpost did you ever try it? It was either fortuitous or mad that I decided to take this on when 3.5 months pregnant. Fortuitous in that I had an impetus to start as in nothing fit! (I discovered I did have items that fit but that they were hiding behind others that were making me miserable with their tight waist bands.)
My first step involved scouring the Internet and Pinterest to understand the capsule wardrobe approach. Here is a basic starting point for a maternity capsule wardrobe. Next I emptied my closet and dresser drawers. I did hold back some favorites pre-pregnancy in my dresser that I will go through again following this maternity adventure. In total I rid my closet/dresser of two garbage bags of clothing to the good will that I did not love, or did not fit, or likely never will fit. Then I took stock of the items that still fit, I loved, and worked together. I again returned to the Internet to find looks that I liked and could be put together with items I already had and a few purchases. Finally I made a list of items to purchase to fill the gap. I started out intending to build a wardrobe of 37 items but maternity purchases are short lived and expensive so for now my capsule wardrobe hovers around 25 items.
Here is one look I was inspired by and my take on it. What do you think?
The most challenging thing I find is that even though your armed with a list sometimes whats available in store does not match. I liked the style of the un-fancy.com blogger in the link that I found on my friend KS page. Often if you love a particular individuals style finding out where they shop is half the battle. It's similar I think to hairstyles. If you love someone's hair styles ask them where they have their hair cut and who their stylist is. As I mentioned before one of my struggles is trying to piece together a style with few available shops. Unfortunately the un-fancy.com blogger no longer posts, but luckily she linked her earlier purchases and I've found a few new online shopping venues to consider and perhaps post-pregnancy will cautiously online shop. Shops generally fit particular styles. I prefer to try on clothes in store, but that can be discouraging too when your not only trying on styles you don't love but also trying to find something that fits. Additionally shopping online is only feasible if they offer shipping free or at a low cost and prices are in Canadian dollars.
Another challenging aspect is living out of a suitcase when I join L in SK for a week or two at a time.
Our lease on our condo is running out and so my job currently has been to locate our next accommodations. Yay I completed that! Also since L works 12 hr days and then commutes to work he has approximately 1 hr in the evenings when he gets home before bed and 1/2 an hour in the mornings so I'm his personal assistant, shopping, getting fuel for the car/maintenance, making meals, laundry, running errands, checking and returning his emails, etc. He will be working this schedule for two months with 2.5 days off. Miserable work schedule but awesome overtime pay!! Have I said I'm thankful lately for my husband and how he provides for us. We're trying to save some rubles for an exciting home purchase that I will share when details are more confirmed. I've applied for my teaching license so may join the land of the employed this fall to contribute. Note: if you are young and thinking about embarking on your university career don't be like me and go to 6 universities, when it comes time to apply for licensing for instance you will need to request transcripts sent from each institution. In total I have paid $404 for transcripts, criminal record checks, and the application fee to teach in SK. Now I am waiting to find out if I will have to reapply to the province of BC for my teaching license as I let that expire because the fee was $80 per year and I did not intend to teach in BC again or for a very great time. Apparently you should keep your licensing up in every province you have ever taught. So my savings of $80 x the last decade might be lost as I may need to reapply to BC to support my application to SK. At any rate I've started the process so perhaps I return to the classroom this fall as a supply teacher or after baby is a year old. So far my lean, capsule wardrobe includes mainly casual clothes, I may need to re-evaluate and add in some professional pieces.
I googled Vogues fall trends and oh my! I guess you could say I avoid runway styles.
It's Sunday afternoon and the sun is shining, I think I will take a walk to the mall. I am on the look out for a white stretchy tank top. What's on your current clothes shopping list to buy?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.