Thursday, September 17, 2015

Obsessions, What's in My Make-Up Bag, & Guest Post Request

My obsession of late has been orange juice, until of late when I developed pregnancy heart burn. OH.MY.WORD. For supper I had egg on toast with a glass of orange juice. I was in agony. For breakfast I had two cherry tomatoes, a slice of cucumber, and a bowl of yogurt. Agony repeat. Then Tums became my obsession until about three hours ago when I googled TUMS and Pregnancy. I think I will have to ask my doctor this upcoming week about whether it is safe or not to use, because there is conflicting evidence. 

So what is a girl to be obsessed with? I mean orange juice and tums were no longer deserving of their own post. I thought hard and long about this. Well not really. I decided my obsession is with YouTube videos and reading blogs.

This summer I came across the blog HEY NATALIE JEAN  after reading the book by the same author. This is not to say I am obsessed with this blog but it is illustrative.  The book has not received very great reviews but I loved it. Also a book that has not received good reviews is one of the categories of my reading challenge. I read the book before I read her blog. Her loyal followers were divided as some expected more. Book reviewers also fought back angry that a blogger could also be an author. Never mind the negativity, I was at Chapters and it looked interesting. There was New York which I love, her infertility struggles which I related to, and her take on red lips and false eye lashes--a classic look I love. I delved right in and finished it within a day. Then I found her blog and started at the beginning of her journey reading the archives back from 2005 to present. I think I quit somewhere around 2012 as I was already days and weeks of reading in and have just been reading the current posts. I admit I prefer her early posts more than her ones of late with all the links but just the same I enjoy her voice. She has evolved as a photographer- the photographs are beautiful- including the ones taken by her 4 year old son. For that you should check out her blog.



What follows in this post is a idea from a series on her blog called What's in Your Make-Up Bag. She invited guest bloggers to contribute a post answering the questions she posed, along with pictures, of their make-up and them wearing makeup. Some even included a tutorial video. I thought as in our blog-tember challenge we are to invite a guest blogger to contribute to our blog I would open up the pages of my blog also along the same vein. If you would like to share please email me at everbatiuk.blogspot@gmail.com some photos and answers to the questions posed below.

Now before we go any further and I answer all these questions I also need to share that I love YouTube videos and specifically watching makeup videos, which is hilarious because in regular life I rarely wear make-up at all. So this summer I decided to revamp some of my makeup and ordered Maskcara's line of IIID Foundation. One of my favorite aspects of YouTube videos is the before and after. So I decided to do a little before after/shot. My camera battery died so I had to do with my ipad in the badly lit bathroom without a window.




So let's get started...

What's In My Make-up Bag...currently (I have to pack light when I travel).


Concealing Brush- Merle Norman (I use this as a eyeshadow brush)
Maskcara IIID Foundation:
Contour: Shadow, Stone, Walnut
Highlight: Sunlit, Linen
Blush: Dahlia, Pink Grapefruit
Illuminator: Pearl
MAC Eyeshadows: Phloof!, Contrast, Blackberry
MAC Lipstick: Freckletone
MAC Lip Pencil: Boldly Bare
L'Oreal Colour Riche le Glosse


HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU STARTED WEARING MAKEUP?
I started wearing makeup around grade 8/9. It was drugstore variety or bits of my moms. Then I really only wore Covergirl foundation, and concealer, Maybelline maskcara, and lip glosses. Mostly the foundation/concealer regimen was to conceal acne blemishes. 

WHO TAUGHT YOU HOW TO APPLY IT? Or WHO TAUGHT YOU?

I learned at the beginning by reading magazines such as Seventeen. In highschool I bought a book by Cindy Crawford called Basic Face. 

THE FIRST EVER COSMETIC I APPLIED TO MY FACE WAS: or...WHAT DID YOU START WITH?

My mom had numerous samples of Mary Kay lipsticks and lip glosses. They were fun to play with. 

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FEATURE AND WHY?

I love applying makeup to my eyes. I feel like here I can play with colour and dimension. The brushes remind me of painting. 

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FEATURE TO PLAY UP / DISGUISE / MANIPULATE WITH MAKEUP AND WHY?

I like to play down the redness around my nose and the size of my nose. I decided to try the line of Maskcara IIID Foundation because I am always astounded at how Cara Brook is able to contour a face.  I wish my nose was thinner. I used to be teased that I had a big nose when I was younger. The jury is still out whether I love or am obsessed with this foundation. It is definitely easy to apply and the brush is fantastic for application. I find it a little creamy on my face however. That could be due to using moisturizer before.



HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY CONTOUR YOUR FACE IN A MANNER THAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU LOOK INSANE?


I am working on contouring. It reminds me a little of painting in art. I really am in love with the yellow highlight Sunlit from Masckara IIID foundation. I am a little leary of the darker contour shades especially near my nose. I keep watching YouTube videos and experimenting so perhaps one day I'll get it right. 

WHO DO YOU LOOK TO FOR BEAUTY INSPIRATION?

Currently I like watching YouTube videos. My favorite currently are by Cara Brook for Maskcara and also MakepByAlli. I like a little bit of glam mixed with a natural look. Pictured below are lip products recommended by MakeupByAlli in the the YouTube video NudeGlam Lipstick, for me, always feels really sticky on my lips but I am trying branch out and try new things so I gave this a go this summer. I substitued MAC Freckletone, a similar shade, for the MAC Peachstock lipstick she recommended.



FAVORITE BRAND? Or place to buy makeup

I used to be a die hard MAC fan and could only buy MAC makeup when I went to the big city or online. Now I am trying to branch out by trying different product lines at Sephora. Also I am trying Maskcara that I ordered online this summer. 

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE MAKEUP TRICK? Or
IF YOU HAD ONE TRICK UP YOUR SLEEVE, ONE TECHNIQUE YOU COULD CALL A SECRET WEAPON, WHAT IS IT?

I like to apply eyeliner with an angled brush that I wet before hand. I find I am able to get a crisp line and my hand does not shake as much as using liquid eyeliner. I like to use MAC Eyeshadow Club for this which I have recently run out of. Also I can smudge/blend it easier with a brush and layer different colours. I've tried pencils too but really dislike that sharp point when first sharpened or when the lead breaks and breaks and breaks as your sharpening.

HOW MUCH TIME WOULD YOU SAY YOU SPEND ON YOUR MAKEUP IN THE MORNING?

I'm generally quick with applying makeup, and will spend maybe 10 minutes. It's a rare day actually that I apply makeup. I find it really hard to apply first thing in the morning. I would rather apply it mid morning, mid afternoon or in the evening. I'm more likely to apply it if I'm meeting someone new for the first time, I have an appointment, event to attend or a date. 

DO YOU ALWAYS WASH IT OFF AT NIGHT? (BE HONEST)

I try to but honestly, not always. There have been a few times when I didn't but I feel really guilty afterwards. I am generally good at cleaning my face before bed if I have wore makeup. I am terrible however if I was not wearing makeup that day. I used to faithfully clean my face with Olay wipes on my with or without makeup days but L doesn't like the smell of them so for awhile I stopped using them. Also I wondered at their effectiveness in truly removing makeup. I switched to using water and foaming Olay face wash when I wear makeup which I really like. I try to take off my eye makeup with Neutrogena Oil Free Eye Makeup remover and cotton puffs. Otherwise I find even with a good scrub down I have raccoon eyes the next morning. 

WHAT ONE MAKE UP / BEAUTY CONCEPT / PRODUCT INTIMIDATES YOU MOST?
Moisturizers, primers, toners, anti aging serums, facials. I really need to find an understandable approach and great product line to protect my face and preserve it. 

DESERT ISLAND. WHAT HEAT YOU PACKING?

Really the only thing I absolutely need is a tweezer. Because I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS sometimes I have wiry hairs that sprout from my chin. Hirsutism is a symptom of medical disorders associated with the hormones called androgens. With PCOS, the ovaries produce excessive amounts of androgens. Sometimes they are white/blond other times they are dark. Not exactly becoming. They drive me bonkers. I've had these since junior high which should have been a clue then that I had PCOS.

DOES YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER HAVE A PREFERENCE OR ANY OPINIONS? IF SO, DO YOU TAKE THOSE INTO ACCOUNT, OR ARE YOU JUST LIKE, BISH, PLEASE. ??

L always notices if I do wear makeup.  If he sees me wearing makeup and we are going out he will generally spend more time on his appearance in the bathroom. Or he'll be all curious about why I'm wearing makeup. It's hilarious. I really should wear makeup more because I do get a positive reaction. He will say I look beautiful. He does have comments about other women wearing makeup if he thinks they are wearing too much. Or if I get makeup on a towel after washing my face/not doing a great scrub down he will make a comment. So I do try to take his opinions into account and look natural, and make sure I really scrub clean.  

LAST ONE. SEPHORA: EXCITING OR TERRIFYING?
It used to be terrifying. Now I do my homework before hand and go in with a list of products I want to look at. 

And here's my attempt at a modelesque pose all made up in make-up in my badly lit bathroom. Haha!


I do hope someone will want to contribute to my guest post and share What's In Your Make-Up Bag. Remember to email me at everbatiuk.blogspot@gmail.com  and include some photos.
Here are the questions. You can answer all or some of the questions below. Or if you check out HEY NATALIE JEAN's blog and search makeup you can see other versions and adapt yours to fit their style. This is my first guest post request. Have your entry to me by Tuesday, September 22nd. See compensation below. Thank you in advance!

HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU STARTED WEARING MAKEUP?

WHO TAUGHT YOU HOW TO APPLY IT? Or WHO TAUGHT YOU?

THE FIRST EVER COSMETIC I APPLIED TO MY FACE WAS: or...WHAT DID YOU START WITH?
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FEATURE AND WHY?

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FEATURE TO PLAY UP / DISGUISE / MANIPULATE WITH MAKEUP AND WHY? 

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY CONTOUR YOUR FACE IN A MANNER THAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU LOOK INSANE?

WHO DO YOU LOOK TO FOR BEAUTY INSPIRATION?

FAVORITE BRAND? Or place to buy makeup

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE MAKEUP TRICK? Or
IF YOU HAD ONE TRICK UP YOUR SLEEVE, ONE TECHNIQUE YOU COULD CALL A SECRET WEAPON, WHAT IS IT?

HOW MUCH TIME WOULD YOU SAY YOU SPEND ON YOUR MAKEUP IN THE MORNING?

DO YOU ALWAYS WASH IT OFF AT NIGHT? (BE HONEST)

WHAT ONE MAKE UP / BEAUTY CONCEPT / PRODUCT INTIMIDATES YOU MOST?

WHAT ONE MAKE UP / BEAUTY CONCEPT / PRODUCT HAVE YOU NAILED BECAUSE YOU ARE AWESOME?

DESERT ISLAND. WHAT HEAT YOU PACKING?

FILL IN THE BLANK: THIS REMINDS ME OF MY MOTHER, THAT REMINDS ME OF MY GRANDMOTHER

DOES YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER HAVE A PREFERENCE OR ANY OPINIONS? IF SO, DO YOU TAKE THOSE INTO ACCOUNT, OR ARE YOU JUST LIKE, BISH, PLEASE. ??

LAST ONE. SEPHORA: EXCITING OR TERRIFYING?

Compensation for guest blog entry: 

All entries must be emailed to everbatiuk.blogspot@gmail.com and received by Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015. Include your mailing address and I will send in the mail a Two Faced Better Than Sex Mascara or a Two Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick to the lucky guest blogger selected for my guest blog post. This has a $25-30 value plus tax and shipping. Please note I am not in any way sponsored for this blog post.  In advance if there are more than 3 entries I will consider a series and post the other guest blog entries following in October & possibly November. Unfortunately I will not be able to compensate beyond 3 entries as that will go beyond my spending money alloted for the month. If you are still willing to participate and you are for instance the 4th entry please accept my appologies and I will contact you if you are still interested and willing to participate. 

Brave Love Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks