Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Summer Storms & Crockpot Chili

 

 

Lately we've been having some incredible summer storms on the prairies. This photo of a shelf cloud is from a neighbor down the street. "A shelf cloud is a low, horizontal wedge-shaped cloud, associated with a thunderstorm gust front (or occasionally with a cold front, even in the absence of thunderstorms). A rising cloud motion often can be seen in the leading part of the shelf cloud, while the underside often appears turbulent, boiling, and wind-torn." (Source: accuweather.com) Shelf clouds are often mistaken for tornados. 

After the other nights storm that woke us up and left me rather groggy in the morning it was rather chilly in the morning. It felt like a day for having chili even though I suspected it wouldn't be long before the sun broke through the morning mist. Chili is really easy to make and really you rarely need a recipe- onions, celery, peppers, chili powder, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, beans, (& my dad always added a few tablespoons of brown sugar to his too)... Hot summer days are perfect for crockpot meals. I found this recipe for crockpot chili & cornbread. Instead of adding beef broth I substituted beer. I thought it gave the chili a fabulous flavour profile. It's a mild chili, L commented this chili needed more heat, so if you make it and want more heat I'd recommend some hot peppers. I also added a large can of brown beans because when I was growing up that was how my dad made his chili. Another quick summer trick I have is to fry up onions, red & orange peppers earlier in the week and have these in the refrigerator -then they can be added to recipes throughout the week. Its less tears that way for me- I cut an onion and I might as well have attended a funeral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks