Sunday, July 03, 2016

Baby Food



Baby J turned six months on June 29. We have started to introduce her to real food. Today we tried avocado. 

I took a bunch of library books out on weaning/feeding purées. I really should have jotted notes but returned them to the library and now am relying on my memory. So by no means is this expert advice... In the exploratory phase or first month of introducing solids it is mostly about flavors, smells, and texture and that your baby will not be really getting any significant calories. From these books I took away  1) when: waiting until 6 months 2) how much: starting with first tastes of a teaspoon or two and building up to feeding up to two tablespoons 3) how often: starting with once a day in the afternoon and building up in a week or so to twice a day 4) what: introducing organic vegetables & fruits such as sweet potatoes, butternut squash, peas, carrots, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, pear, apple, mango, & banana. Trying each for two days straight to see if there is any food allergies/reactions. Then after a few weeks combining some food profiles 5) & continuing to offer the same amount of breast milk or formula at regular feelings. 

I'm not sure I recall avocado on the list but baby J liked it & while I was eating it she was reaching for it & its real & healthy. I might try the beets I bought the other day too at the farmers market; even though I don't recall beets on the list. I can just imagine how messy that will be. 

The book I was really interested in reading Baby Led Weaning was already out, I requested it but it came in while I was on holidays so of course yesterday when I went to check if it was still being held for me I learned my hold had been cancelled. Sometimes I think Baby Led Weaning would be the way to go because of this...

 

Baby J is always trying to steal away the spoon, take the food off the spoon herself, or hold the spoon. It gets everywhere! Usually after she's tried a few bites I let her swing that spoon around, suck on it, comb her hair with it, bang on the edge of the high chair. Sometimes she gives it back and we try for a few more tastes. It is a great way to occupy her while we're eating but I'm not sure I'm teaching her good habits?

 

If you are thinking of buying a high chair the Mima Moon chair is really cool & stylish & has lots of fun features but is not really practical in terms of strapping your child in the five point harness as the straps are way too big!! Not cool. As a result we are using the slight recline option right now but then the tray is at an awkward angle for any food so we are not using the tray. As a result Baby J likes to rest her feet on top. Another minus for the Moon Chair is that the gorgeous leather cushion has a white fabric piping which already after only a few feeds is stained orange in one spot from sweet potatoes. I tried to spot clean it with a stain remover quickly after but it looks like it's there to stay. #rookiemomproblems

Somehow and I have no idea how she can bring those toes to her mouth so that after feeding less than a tablespoon of food we have food on the high chair, in her hair, on her face, the floor, her pants & shirt, and her socks. 

As we will be moving beyond first tastes shortly to a more regular schedule shortly do share any tips of the mom or dad trade you may have. What worked for you? Did you try Baby Led Weaning or just purées? Or both? What type of supplies would you recommend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks