Monday, July 18, 2016

Kefir

When I went to visit my aunt & grandma in the Okanagan I was introduced to kefir. My aunt gave me some kefir grains & we've been enjoying it ever since. 

 

Kefir is rich in probiotics. It is similar to a drinkable yogurt - maybe slightly tangier. There are numerous health benefits listed on the Internet if you google kefir. A notable benefit I've noticed is that it helps keep me regular. I first noted this in the Okanagan as often when I travel this can be an uncomfortable problem for me. 


To make kefir:

First acquire some kefir grains. This could be tricky but perhaps you could do an Internet search in your area. My aunt gave me some in a plastic bag that I brought home in my suitcase on the plane.




Add these grains to a glass jar with milk. My grandma said that whole organic milk was best but I've been using 1% milk & it works. I'm sure it would have more health benefits if I were to invest in organic milk or find a farmer willing to sell me fresh milk.

 

Let it sit on the counter for 12-24 hours so that the fermentation takes place. 

The kefir grains use the sugars in the lactose in the milk in the fermentation process. I have found that my kefir gains are growing also & learned on one website it is recommended to use 1-2 teaspoons grains for culturing up to 4 cups of milk. If you don't get to making your kefir you can also put it in the refrigerator which will slow the process - it can be stored then for up to 14 days. 

 

I stir my Kefir with a wooden/plastic spatula to distribute the kefir grains once or twice during the fermentation process & just before I stain the kefir grains so that it doesn't land in a clump in my strainer and slop on the counter.

 
I ordered a nylon/plastic strainer from Amazon. It is recommended you never use metal next to the kefir grains. I strain the kefir right into the blender. 

 
Here are the kefir grains strained out.

Add these back to the jar to start the process again.

 

 

Add fruit to your strained kefir. My favorite fruit to add is blueberries. I love raspberries too but it is too expensive to buy raspberries in store. Strawberries are also delicious and easy to find in most seasons in the grocery store. 

Sometimes I add a banana to add sweetness to the kefir. I've also tried grapes & avocado as pictured below.


 
 

Mmmm enjoy!

If you've never tried kefir I've discovered you can also purchase it pre made in the grocery store. It's a little expensive but worth a try if your curious. 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks