The walls are up!
It was really exciting to see the walls were built the last time I was by the house.
This is the south view.
West side with two bedroom windows.
This is the north view including the walkout basement, jut-out is the master bedroom window, window to the right is the bathroom, window and door to the left is the kitchen and door to deck.
This is the east side. When I first saw this I was a little shocked that the windows were only 2 feet by 2 feet and the window in the kitchen 2 feet by 6 feet. How did I miss this on the plans earlier? We emailed the builder to ask about enlarging the kitchen window to 6 feet by 6 feet. It will be an additional $2000. Crazy!
Every change is thousands of dollars! Is it worth it? I am divided since there will be a house directly across from this one. Perhaps all we need is the natural light from this window and to forget having a large window here since there likely will not be a view. But I also love windows. Why are windows so expensive!
In other news we had a hiccup yesterday as far as where we will live while this house is being built.
We had planned to house sit for a lovely couple while they went to the United States for the winter to Mesa, Arizona. Unfortunately I got a call in the early morning that she had had a heartattack and was in the hospital. I was concerned for her health but it really did leave us in a lurch. It had been such an ideal situation. We would be renting their place for $750 a month plus $150 for snow removal. It included a garage, all utilities plus netflix/cable/internet, furnishings, dishes etc.
I am trying to not be stressed out about this all and take it in stride. I left a deposit with her of $750 which has been cashed plus paid for all the snow removal on Saturday at $600 and left post-dated checks until April so I hope we will be able to recover this money.
Luckily I was able to secure a new place yesterday thanks to connections that her husband had and so now we will be living in a renovated church. It costs a little more at $1100 plus utilities per month. I also needed to leave a security deposit of $1100. Unfortunately it is unfurnished so I am trying to figure out if we should move our furniture currently in our basement here for the cost of $3071 or buy some used items on kijiji that we can later re-sell or make the trip and try to move some of the items ourselves with L's dad's pick-up truck.
Lots to think about as I likely shouldn't be lifting heavy items being 29 weeks pregnant. Plus L is working day in and day out it seems. He has worked 50+ days now with only 2 days off. I am not even sure if he will be available to help me with moving at the end of the month. Our condo lease runs out at the end of this month so I do not have a lot of time to ponder this hiccup.
Oh no!! OK, as you said Rhonda it's just a hiccup, these things happen and it will all work itself out and eventually it'll be a funny story you can look back on and smile :) till then you just have to try not to get too stressed and just concentrate on the future. In no time at all this will all be behind you, you'll have your lovely new home and your beautiful wee princess :) Keep smiling and think of it as a funny anecdote for the future :) huggles always xx
ReplyDeleteSo true Rosie! In no time this will just be a funny story. Thank you for the perspective boost! We have moved into our new flat now. It is a little noisy when the upper tenants get home from their college classes so I hope my husband will be able to sleep.
DeleteOh dear, noisy neighbours are the absolute worst :/ At least it's only for a short time and you know that there is an end in sight where you can turn your back on it all and have your lovely new home waiting. This rude neighbour (because thumping about at all hours is just plain rude) is just to be tolerated for a short time and gotten through to get to your wonderful, happy future :) You'll laugh someday, "remember the time I laid out that neighbour with a 2 x 4?" LOL :) Not really, but you can always imagine :)
DeleteWhenever he starts stomping about upstairs why not try imagining the ballet dancing hippos from Disney's Fantasia? It would at least make you smile picturing your neighbour in ballet shoes and a tutu :) Sending heaps of love and hugs always xx
I'll have to post an update Rosie! We moved yet again. I am I think finished with all this moving but glad it is blissfully quiet and smells a lot better (they smoked a lot of marijana that came through the vents!). A ballet dancing hippo is a great mental image! I probably could have survived there but I think for my husband's sanity it was necessary we moved.
Delete