Friday, October 02, 2015

A Pottery Artist Studio Visit

Often I pass this little studio/gallery that was once a church and think I should really pop in. 
Today was that day! 

It really is a treasure! 
It is run by the artists Zach Dietrich and Wendy Parsons. 



Zach throws pottery at the wheel and crafts more functional pieces.


Wendy sculpts detailed works. They also work collaboratively on some pieces.



I was met by Zach upon enterring. He was very friendly and invited me to visit the studio in the basement after browsing around and to see the wood fire kiln behind the studio that they were loading.

I tried to throw pottery at the wheel when I was in art school and it was challenging! But how lovely is this view?



I met some of the most friendly people in the studio in the basement from the local pottery club that were there to help load the kilns. They toured me through the studio, the kilns out back, and even invited me to join their pottery club, as well as, return the following day to help fire the kilns. 



They explained to me the difference between electric, gas and wood fire kilns and the effect it has on the finish of the piece. Here is the gas kiln loaded and ready to be fired.


The wood fire kiln is to be fired tomorrow. A wood fire kiln produces a much more rustic finish.


I couldn't help but purchase a few pieces when I left. I really liked that teapot pictured below also. It was priced at $120 which is reasonable for handcrafted pottery but unfortunately more than I had alloted myself to spend today especially since I would have wanted then to purchase the creamer and sugar to complete the set. Most of the tea-cups and coffee mugs are priced between $16-24 each. I purchased a teacup and two small bowls.



If you visit Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan be sure to check out this little gallery/studio. Many of the pieces are one of a kind hand crafted from Saskatchewan clay and glazes drawing on the colours and designs of the prairie environment.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful!! What an amazing adventure! Thank you for letting us follow along. Such beautiful photos Rhonda! Thank you for sharing, huggles xx
    ps: the view from that window is glorious, how does anyone actually get any work done? I would just pull up a chair and stare out of that wondow :) There really is no beauty to equal anything created by mother nature, she has all the best colours x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks