Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Women & Infertility in the Workforce


Yesterday my local CUPE union president informed me that HR had implemented the policy that prevents women undergoing IVF from using banked sick time. Rather they must request permission from their supervisor and use their vacation time for any medical procedures. I have to travel for IVF related medical procedures. As I am only allowed 3 weeks of vacation a year it would be a long time before I accumulated any vacation time for further IVF cycles. In November I received an email from HR that explained infertility treatment is an elective procedures similar to breast augmentation and laser eye surgery. At that time I had already signed all the paperwork and paid for treatment. The union met with HR threatening a grievance if I was denied leave. I was informed by HR I would need a letter from a doctor that IVF was medically necessary and to provide a timeline. I provided the necessary doctor notes for every appointment. Unfortunately our cycle resulted in a BFN. In the mean time a policy was drafted and is now in effect. I feel like this is discrimination against women in the workforce and women with infertility. Some of the other girls I work with think I should fight this and maybe force a lawsuit. I thought about it and found legal precedent but after much thought decided I did not want to take on the extra stress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks