Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Let's Read January: The Rosie Project

So I've only started this Reading Project and am already wondering if it is sustainable because of how much it is costing me. Yeow! This selection was expensive because I purchased the audio version on iTunes to listen to in the car. This book, The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion I chose as this month's romance. I know, not your typical romance but I think it was an enjoyable read. Professor Don Tillman is quite the character and I found myself laughing at several points in the book. 


I've been driving between home and SK frequently in the last month. Having a book read to me along the way I decided would make the drive much more entertaining. The first weekend in January I was away to look at homes. I am in love with new, open, modern builds with lots of light. L is captured by older, classic homes with tiny rooms that are full of character but tragically outdated. So we have some compromising to do. I was almost over the moon last night when he thought further about one of the houses on my list without me even prompting. 

Then this past weekend a quick weekend getaway to Regina. We stayed at the Double Tree Hilton. It was grand although I almost over cooked as the heat was up to 29 degrees in the room. I had to turn the thermostat completely off and open the balcony doors letting in -30 degrees cold air. Needless to say it wasn't the best sleep between moderating the temperature.


It was L's crews work party. We went to the Golf Restaurant in Regina for dinner.


I enjoy having books read to me. This one was read by actor Daniel O'Grady. His Australian accent was quite fitting although it wasn't until Don & Rosie were en-route to New York that I fully picked up that he was Australian. Silly I know.

I found myself saying along with him, Correct! 

It was an interesting romance because the reader was evidently aware he was in love with Rosie much before he was and because of his occasional inability to read social cues. He bumbled along with focused intent on completing his projects, first the wife project which derailed on the dance floor and then the father project. 

My "projects" are not as detailed or logical. Nor am I as focused. My current projects intertwine, and morph into one another. They are:

1.  PROJECT RELOCATE: This is really huge and has big ramifications such as quitting my job, selling a house, finding a house, buying a house, packing, ending our adoption? finding a new job, new friends, learning a new community

2. PROJECT BABY: This is complicated. I have infertility. We have been trying for years. And yes we try often- if we are in same postal code as often as every two days. So we have moved onto IVF and adoption. Our first round of IVF was not successful despite having a beautiful 4AA blastocyst 5 day transfer. Adoption is provincial and so to move between provinces essentially will close our file...however after waiting more than 3 years I am disillusioned with our agency...I wanted this so much and it hasn't came to be. It is painful waiting. I think I need to explore other avenues. Or try and try and try again to have a baby. I know I need to be more proactive -cut out sugar, wheat, dairy, lose weight, cut out stress, exercise, vitamins, essential oils, and explore other non traditional approaches I have yet to discover. I hope by moving on and no longer working at my job I will have the time and energy to focus on this. Or find a new agency and start all over.

3. PROJECT CREATIVE: Read, blog, make rag dolls, sew, learn photography- fun stuff really that distracts me from the things I likely should be doing like organizing, cleaning or folding the laundry.

4. PROJECT HEALTH: Lose weight, become healthy, exercise, cut my coffee/sugar addiction. Or go to bed before midnight. Eventually I'd like to run a marathon.

5. PROJECT FRIENDS: Make some solid fun friends. Be more social. I have moments of panic when I wonder should I live in a city of 20,000 or 120,000. Then I talk myself down from the ledge and remind myself to make a friend you have to be a friend. It is scary and exciting to move and think about making new friends. I remind myself also that I have had good friends living in locales with populations of 6000, 15000, 352000 and 730000. 

I remember falling in love with L. Ours was a whirlwind romance. We just went for it. Now I think we hedge, hoping that a decision will become clear, afraid we are not making the perfect decision. I stall. We stall. I am waiting for L to have his progress review at work before I pull up stakes here.  I am waiting to meet with the fertility doctor in February before I can even begin to have a baby. I am waiting to move before I can explore other avenues. Oh to have the reckless abandon of love again. To make a choice and to run with it.

What did you think of The Rosie Project? How did Don and Rosie's romance compare to yours? Do you have a project that consumes you currently? Are you stalled on one of your projects like me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks