This mom gig is the best, it's exhausting, and something I waited a long time for. Even so sometimes I miss my career gig. I typed up this list of 10 things I miss about being employed while baby J had a nap yesterday....
1. Professional Development... I loved my professional group of colleagues spread across the country. I was on the executive for two years as the treasurer and helped plan two national conferences. Traveling to a conference is fun but being able to plan one is even better! My favorite time of the month was always the one hour conference call we had. These peeps kept me on my toes, motivated me, and made me excited for the advances in my field.
2. Interns... I really liked working with my interns. While it can be a lot of work recruiting, interviewing, and training new staff the ones that are a good fit make it worthwhile. I like working in a team environment and so having someone to bounce ideas off, shoulder the responsibilities, and be in cahoots with always made the job at hand interesting. Interns are eager to please, they are often very capable and will soar when given the resources and wings to do so.
3. Friday... Friday often began with a latte on the way to work. It was often a slow quiet day at the office. Everyone was usually more relaxed- it was the one day a week we showed up in our jeans. I loved those quiet days when the office cleared out early-- where did everyone disappear after lunch on Friday? I usually stuck it out since the quiet afternoon was a chance to clean out my inbox and test out program ideas. Often there were few school programs booked on a Friday because the schools might have a Friday off and it afforded me the opportunity to plan. I love to plan.
4. Volunteers... I had a number of wonderful volunteers that assisted me and reminded me of the value of giving to your community, giving of your time, and enjoying what you do. They often allowed me to laugh at what otherwise might seem a disaster. Best of all they reminded me to take a moment and breathe.
5. Kiddos... I miss those groups of kiddos that came on school tours and took part in our programs. Kids are inquisitive, curious, and hilarious. I loved their insights.
6. Art Supplies... Ordering and receiving a shipment of art supplies was like Christmas.
7. Budgeting, billing, invoices... Call me crazy but I really enjoyed the numbers.
8. Design... While I am not a graphic designer I think I would have been a great one. While it was sometimes frustrating when I was unable to have full creative control the times when I worked with a graphic designer that got my vision were so exciting. It was fun to see in print or online what I envisioned.
9. Successes... There is a thrill in achieving, improving processes, surpassing targets.
10. Pay day... need I say more.
I'm linking up with Karli over at September Farm.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.