Today I received an email from Christian Adoption Services that the government is requesting L have Criminal Records Checks completed. I am a little confused because we both had these completed for our update and sent in to Christian Adoption Services in Calgary in December. One needs to have an update every year to their Homestudy and pay around $600 for this update along with renewing police checks and child welfare checks. Since I only received the copy of the update to our homestudy in the mail today I looked it over and noticed that they inadvertently made a typo blooper / omission on the submission for our homestudy update to the government with regards to our updated criminal records and intervention checks on files so that that section reads:
Criminal Record Check- R... Batiuk: clear, as of December 19, 2014
Intervention Record Check- L...Batiuk: clear, as of January 2, 2015
Criminal Record Check- R... Batiuk: clear, as of December 19, 2014
Intervention Record Check- L...Batiuk: clear, as of January 2, 2015
This is frustrating.
I guess this will mean new checks to be completed which will take up to five weeks. Then to send in. Usually I send in by express. Then it will take CAS a week or so to re type this page and sign it and a week to send it snail mail back to our home for us to sign. We will sign and send in. Hopefully L is not in SK or that will be another week for us to resend back. Then it will be finally sent in again to the government. So we are looking at an approximate 8 week delay on this blooper.
By approximately May this update may reach the government and then it will likely be June before it is approved. Previously this would have been sent to Taiwan but now I am not sure as CAS is handling the adoptions for TXE in Canada. By October we will start this whole process again. At some point we will say that this is ridiculous. And give up. Or the tides will change and we will finally receive a proposal for a precious child.
Hopefully the tides will change before L says enough is enough. Every so often he asks me if I will be okay if it is just us two and we never have kids. I know he is disappointed too and trying to cheer me up. He says we can travel and if we never have kids our nephews will inherit our estates. It seems so far off to even think of leaving an inheritance to someone and bleek. I still want to hold onto the hope of having a family.
I was really excited by adoption when I first imagined it. I imagined a multicultural family. I was excited to learn about other cultures and raise my children with a global world view. I thought we would have little travellers that would accompany L and I on our adventures. I was even excited to think about learning other languages. I thought we would visit their home country often over the years. I was so excited when we first decided on Russia as the country we would adopt from but to also open a file with an Asian country if possible. And so we had permission to adopt from Russia and we're excited to learn in as little as a year we might have a proposal. We found an agency in Taiwan that we were equally excited for but also skeptical as we sent in an application but heard nothing for months. We thought initially we were being smart and if possible we could have a toddler home from Russia while we were just finishing up the paperwork for a secound adoption and that possibly by the time the first adoption was complete we would have a proposal for a second adoption. Meanwhile we received a letter from the Canadian Government that our file with Russia would be closed because of an international disagreement between the USA and Russia and now also Canada. By this time we had heard word from TXE that we were a number on the list. We no longer know where we stand on any actual list as the agency has changed with further accreditation so now we rely on CAS where we initially started by taking a course on international adoption following a miscarriage after fertility treatment in 2011. Sometimes I wonder if I should re contact the organization in Taiwan or just trust CAS will work on our behalf. CAS told us some time ago that we were at the top of the list. But are we really? I wonder sometimes if I should make the split from CAS despite the years and thousands of dollars we have spent and start afresh with another agency.
I really would love to be a mom. I would love to have children, to love, to watch them grow, to see the world through their eyes, to care for, to laugh with.
I do not know if we will ever conquer infertility despite my hope and all the effort I pour into reading medical texts, arranging treatment, injecting myself with fertility drugs. I just thought by now adoption would have come through for us and I would not have had to face the fact that L might be right --it may be just the two of us. I wanted more than one child and now I wonder if I will ever have any. I thought if by some miracle I was able to carry a baby that with adoption I could have at least another or two more.
And yet. I need to raise my head above my present circumstances. To have faith in the face of frustration. To realize that despite human limitations that God is ultimately in control. That while infertlity and adoption are my present reality there is a bigger reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.