Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Reading Habits

Reading Habits Tag
I love books and reading! 

I was excited to find this morning Rosie @ +Rosies Cottage  tagged me in a fun reading quiz.

Reading Tag - The Questions  

Do you have a certain place at home to read?

I read mostly sitting on the couch in the living room with my feet propped up on pillows and with pillows at my back. Always pillows! Or in bed with pillows behind my back. 

Bookmark or random piece of paper?

My mom is always making me bookmarks that are so sweet but really I use any random piece of paper that is close. In my book currently I have three random pieces of paper- an appointment reminder from the doctor, a pamphlet on becoming a member of the art gallery, and the reminder slip when you check out a book at the library. I usually only have one random piece of paper. 



Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter or number of pages?

I have to stop at the end of a chapter or a natural break. I think I learned this habit when really young and my mom was calling me to help in the kitchen or go to bed. I could usually draw out a few more minutes by calling I just have a few pages until the end of the chapter.

Do you eat or drink while reading?

I like to have a cup of tea or coffee. Before I was pregnant on the weekends that coffee included a little Baileys on the weekend. I love a cookie or two while reading although I've had to give up cookies as of late with my recent diagnosis of gestational diabetes. Sigh! Celery and carrot sticks are just not as exciting. 

Do you watch TV or listen to music while reading?

L is a gamer and so yes the tv is on and the music is playing. Right now he is playing x-com. I really don't understand it but sometimes I have to watch a particular sequence when he says watch this. Or he will ask me which ability I think he should pick for a particular character. This game has all these aliens that launch attacks on particular countries and the characters have to defend those countries or save civilians. Sometimes he watches poker on tv or some shark show. So the tv is usually on while I am reading but I usually have it semi-blocked out. 



One book at a time or several at once?

I generally read one book at a time. If I start a second book it is hard to get back into the first book.

Reading at home or everywhere?

I will read anywhere. My favorite is to read in a coffee shop. I will read while waiting for appointments, in the car while waiting for L while he is in a shop running an errand. In the summer sometimes I liked to read at the park. I once spent a year reading Anna Karenina on my 15 minute coffee breaks and 1/2 hour lunch break when I worked for Opus Framing and Art Supplies because we had to take scheduled breaks and because they were scheduled it meant only one person was on break at a time so there was no one to socialize with. 

Reading aloud or silently in your head?

I read silently in my head. When I was in university I had a friend in Political Science who would read the textbook walking up and down the halls. He subliminally influenced me because sometimes if I was trying to study/cram for an exam I would read outloud. But only if I was the only one in the room! 

Do you ever read ahead or skip pages?

Oh yes! And it ruins it everytime. It is a terrible habit. I really do not like that I do this but sometimes if the narrative is really slow or if there are a number of characters but only one that I find really fascinating I will find myself with my thumb in the section I left off and there I am reading half way through the novel. If I catch myself early enough I will put the book down and take a break from the novel. If I don't catch myself then I can end up on the last page and by that time it is too late and it is debatable whether or not I will actually go back and finish the novel.

Do you ever write in books?

No. I have picked up novels with comments by the reader and thought they were really interesting. I am a highlighter though! Give me a highlighter in a textbook or on kobo in a non-fiction read and I go crazy with colour!

Thank you Rosie for tagging me! If you haven't visited Rosie in Scotland do! Now it is my turn to tag some others. There is no pressure to participate or when to participate in this reading habits quiz and as Heather from Icing on the Cake mentioned it took her several months to get to. 

Evalina @ Fortunate House
Amanda @ The Lady Okie
Elizabeth @ Chasin' Mason

And all my reading blogger friends. Want to join in? If you have a blog write your own version and come back and leave your link in the comments section or just add your thoughts in the comments section below. 



11 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda, yaaaay! Such fun to find your wonderful post this morning :) Don't know where I'd have been at College/Uni without my highlighters, still love them now. I have a couple of blogging books which I'm currently trying to work my way through and they're starting to look quite colourful :) Sending heaps of huggles from a rainy chilly Scotland dear wee friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a delightful surprise to be tagged. Are the blogging books you are reading specific to Blogger or in general about blogging? I think I need to be reading these books too! I looked in our Chapters and there were only a few books on learning code which flew way over my head. Any big problem I turn to my brother who designs web pages. This blog is a template that I purchased on etsy so sometimes it gives me grief if I want to make any changes. I am so thankful that my brother can interpret the code in the backend, but he lives far away so I have to save up my changes. I am impressed with your blogging tutorials and the tabs at the top of your blog are a fantastic addition!

      Delete
    2. :) I have to be the world's worst at this whole blogging thing, or at least the technical side of it :) You are so lucky to have your brother! I adore my Brother in law, he's fab with tech things and builds his own computers, he has no fear of technical stuff at all, it's like a puzzle to him :) Unfortunately, like you, I don't get to see him very often. He lives at the other end of the country, literally. We chat online every Sunday which is fab but we do miss him when he leaves after a visit.

      With me, when I find something I can't do, I run a search to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Sometimes that works, sometimes not :) The book I'm reading now is called Head First: HTML with CSS & XHTML by Elizabeth Freeman & Eric Freeman. You can see it here honey: http://www.amazon.ca/Head-First-HTML-CSS-XHTML/dp/059610197X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449768147&sr=1-2&keywords=head+first+html+and+css

      It says on the cover that it's a "brain friendly guide" :) that so made me smile :) It's a pretty hefty sized book and really heavy but it's so far been great because it really does seem to have cut HTML down into small pieces and there are exercises throughout the book to help too. I've only really just started it so I'm hoping it will help remove the mystery (and terror) from coding :)

      The other books so far have been "Teach Yourself Blogging" (part of the "Teach Yourself" series of books)by Nat McBride & Jamie Cason. This covers both Blogger & Typepad (typepad?) and it has lots of illustrations. You can see that one here: http://www.amazon.ca/Teach-Yourself-Blogging-Nat-McBride-ebook/dp/B0054M8FT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449788316&sr=1-1&keywords=teach+yourself+blogging

      Then there is "Bloggers Boot camp" by Charlie White & John Biggs. I haven't started reading this one yet but it seems to be a very good book. http://www.amazon.ca/Bloggers-Boot-Camp-Learning-Successful/dp/0240819179/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449789141&sr=1-2&keywords=bloggers+boot+camp

      Please do try to rest honey, Sending heaps and heaps of hugs dear wee friend xxx

      Delete
  2. Bookmarks drive me crazy! I swear I have a bunch I just don't know where they are?! I use an old Disneyland ticket at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember book fairs when you were in grade school? I never had enough money to buy the books I wanted so used to settle for a bookmark. I'd never consider spending money on a bookmark now. A Disneyland ticket sounds like a perfect reminder of a happy time!

      Delete
  3. I love this! Thank you for tagging me! I am definitely doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad you found this tag :) And excited you are planning to do it! I look forward to your post.

      Delete
  4. Super late to the party! I wanted to post the link to my reading quiz!
    http://wallflowerthoughts.com/?p=837

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I didn't find your blog during blogtember. I have since found it and am enjoying reading your posts! Thanks for linking up!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Rhonda! Saw this over at Cristy's blog and was inspired to do one. Hello fellow bookworm! Happy New Year! Beautiful baby you have there. :)

    http://psychogabble.blogspot.com/2016/01/reading-habits.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The image you posted to begin your post is too funny! Love that you participated and hello! to you also my kindred bookworm!

      Delete

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks