The perfect beach getaway!
Soaking up the sun under the beach cabanna, taking dips in the ocean when I thought it was safe to not burn; I am happy to report we ended our vacation without a sunburn. I was amazed at all the people flirting with skin cancer and turning a blotchy shade of painful red as they slow basted in the sun.
It was plum hot in Cuba. I think I may have slightly dehydrated especially on top the double decker bus. I am still trying to regain my electrolytes I think weeks later.
We stayed at the resort Melia Las Americas. It was rated 5 stars but as you may know ratings in Cuba are in a league of their own. Even so we were pleasantly delighted with the quality of the resort. And the food was really fantastic!
We went on a tour to Havanna with a local guide Alex, a university professor who gave tours on the side. We had a delightful day travelling with Alex and learning the ins and outs of his life including where he went to elementary school and Cuban life in general. We peppered him with questions. We squished into the back of a Fiatt. At first it was raining so hard in the morning at the resort that we wondered what the day would be. We started out riding the slick roads and wondering if the windshield wipers could keep up. And then blue skies! And then the sweltering heat while we walked an extensive networlk of stone fortifications and narrow streets of old Havanna. We marvelled at the Baroque and neo-classical monuments and impressive architecture. Alex took us out to lunch at an expensive hostel for tourists. We were surprised at the cost but Alex assured us it was so that we would not catch Cholera. At this rate we did not have the mohito advocated by Hemingway despite the long line of tourists clamering to have a drink in the icy airconditioned Hemingwayesque haunt.
I love the classic cars in Cuba. I was warned by Alex to not take too many photos of these gems or the owners would be asking to paid for these photo opps.
I was delighted to observe Quinceañera (lit. meaning One (f.) who is fifteen), sometimes called fiesta de quince años, fiesta de quinceañera, quince años or simply quince, the celebration of a girl's fifteenth birthday in parts of Latin America. This birthday is celebrated differently from any other birthday, as it marks the transition from childhood to becoming a young woman.
Cuba was a great summer end getaway!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.