Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Careers, Dreams and In Another Life

So I've reviewed 173 pages of scanned resumes, shortlisted, and met with the interview selection committee, selected 2 and contacted selected others to provide more evidence of their awesomeness to finally arrive at 3.

As much as I would rather stay under the covers each morning...lovelies it is a difficult world out there to find employment.

Each of said applicants had a master's degree, more than two internships etc. for a position that pays less than $20 an hour and is less than 36 weeks in duration. I can count my lucky stars that I have an amazing salary and a permanent union position. I had better appreciate this more often. Off to work then...lunch hours over.

I just couldn't leave this post alone because it is still on my mind.

The choices we make...


I would love to get my Masters and in another life I might have. What was I doing in my twenties unlike all of these applicants? Somehow the timeline I anticipated for my life has never ever really fallen into line.  And now I really have different priorities. Now I can't imagine spending between $20,000-50,000 on my Masters when this could equal IVF treatment. It is my dream to have a child.  And even if I had the fortunate funds to afford several rounds of IVF (it is rare the first round is a success)...then what about thinking about my child's future or real estate or travel.


Why, oh why, is it so expensive to learn, have babies, dream, and travel the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.

Saturday Larks