I was inspired this year to make some new stockings.
Here is a tutorial on how I made mine and a template to make your own.
This year I love stockings trimmed with faux fur.
I liked the stockings at Pottery Barn. I may have been swayed to just save time and purchase PB but alas they were sold out. Restoration Hardware also has a faux fur version that is fun and currently on sale.
So it was imperative I made my own. And it's always fun to entertain a creative bent.
These are the tools & supplies I used:
- Wool Fabric in a heavier weight (you could also use velvet for a luxe feel)
- Faux fur
- Iron on Fusible Interfacing (to help with keeping a strong shape)
- Sewing Machine, iron, pins, sewing needle, fabric scissors, hot glue gun
- Thread in colour of wool and faux fur
- Brown paper for pattern and for ironing (to prevent interfacing from sticking to iron)
- Marker/pencil to draw pattern
- Sequin Ribbon
- Lint roller (to clean up the loose faux fur bits on the wool)
The template
My first time making something I like to think of it as a prototype- an early sample, model, or release of a product built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from. I didn't have a pattern so this was the trickiest step for me imagining/picturing and then drawing what a stocking looks like. I even pulled out one of L's socks and a previous year's stocking. However I think about elves when I think about stockings and so the typical bland shape of stockings you buy was not cutting it. If you love elves stockings you've come to the right place. I am saving you all of those steps with this template. You can thank your lucky stars.
Template Stocking Toe
Template Bottom Foot
Template Top
Process
Here are twelve easy steps to make your own.
(Plus two optional decorative steps to add a little glitz.)
1. Lay the wool fabric out with the inside facing up. Lay the fusible interfacing on top with the outside facing up. (Fusible side will stick then to inside of stocking.)
2. Fold the fabric with the fusible interfacing sandwiched between. The good side of the fabric should be on the outside.
3. Pin the template on top. Remember to leave a seam allowance when cutting. (I used a marker to draw my seam allowance)
4. Cut through all four layers. Remove Pins and paper template.
5. Separate the two sides of the stocking. Iron on the fusible interfacing to both sides. (Remember to use brown paper between iron and fusible interfacing.)
6. Pin together with outside layers of wool fabric sandwiched together.
7. Sew. (If you wanted you could iron out the seams.)
8. Fold inside out.
9. Measure the faux fur. (My faux fur proved a challenge because I could not find a wide enough piece at the fabric store. It came with a ribbon on either side so I was able to sew the ribbons together to make a wider cuff.)
10. Sew together ends with outside of faux fur together to make a loop. Fold out.
11. Pin the faux fur loop cuff to top with ribbon folded in to cover cut edges Hand stitch the faux fur cuff on the top.
12. Add a ribbon loop to hang. You may sew this in or use a hot glue gun.
Optional Steps:
- Add an initial with sequin ribbon. (I played around with the shape of the letter first then I free handed it with a hot glue gun and layered the sequin ribbon on top. I had to reapply hot glue in parts because I was too slow in layering.)
- Add trim around the edges. (I used a hot glue gun and went around starting at the top and slowly working my way around in 5-10 cm chunks.)
I think I will even make a few extras for future baby batiuks and guests that come for the holidays in future years.
How much did it cost? $70.72 /5 stockings = $14.14 each
- 1.5 meters of Kashmir Wool fabric @ $23.30
- 2 spools of thread @ $2.27
- 1.5 meters Fusible Interfacing @ $5.40
- 3 meters of sequin ribbon @ $0.80
- 2.5 Meters of faux fur $23.69
- 2 meter of Chanel braid for hanging @ $4.16
- 7 meters of pompom trim for outer edging @ $11.20
I think if I remake this project I may try without the fusible interfacing and also make in other fun colours or with different colours of faux fur.












No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments brighten my day. Thank you for sharing.